Manager of Payroll Operations
Primary responsibility is to manage the payroll operations activities supporting the payroll function/objectives within the Belk organization. This position requires both a broad and thorough knowledge of the payroll discipline in a large multi-state, multi-company employee population (25,000 +) environment. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to operational accuracy and efficiency, end to end payroll processing and tax reporting. This role would manage other payroll team members and work closely with other internal Belk departments.
The role is one that requires an ability to work independently and build and maintain strong working relationships. This position requires tact, diplomacy and strong written and verbal communication skills to address audiences from entry level to executive employees. Must demonstrate critical thinking skills, sound judgment, and the ability to manage performance of the Payroll Team in delivering a high level of quality service to all employees.
Assist in handling urgent payroll problems and questions through telephone and written communications.
- Provides leadership and a very active participation in all the activities of the payroll operations (payroll processing, garnishments, taxes, time & attendance issues, etc.)
- Ensures delivery of high level of quality service to Payroll’s customers.
- Payroll and tax processing, including pro-actively monitoring and driving issues to quick resolution.
- Execution of payroll special events/activities (year end, escheat processing, special payments, etc.).
- Serves as back-up to the Manager of Payroll Projects.
- Maintains close collaboration with the Manager of Payroll Projects.
- Maintains a detailed knowledge of payroll concepts, regulatory changes and employment tax laws.
- Participates in projects and provides project support as needed.
- Provides support and guidance to the payroll operational team members when needed.
- Conducts employee performance appraisals, assigning performance objectives and encouraging/identifying employee development plans.
- Preferred: Certified Payroll Professional (CPP).
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree – Accounting or Business
- Seven to ten years of progressive payroll work experience (at least 3 in a leadership responsibility).
- Payroll experience with a large multi-state, multi-entity employee population (25,000 +)
- Working knowledge of government compliance with all Local, State, Federal, Wage & Tax Laws including FLSA.
- Experience using ADP tax service
- Advanced work experience and system knowledge using PeopleSoft H/R, including query, payroll and tax processing (prefer 8.9 or higher)
- Knowledge of Accounting concepts and Control Procedures
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Access skills
- Ability to create and execute testing scripts and plans
- Experience using Payroll & Tax Compliance research tools
- Excellent strategic thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Generates enthusiasm among team members, delivers consistent positive recognition for accomplishments and identifies employee’s developmental opportunities
- Transforms conflict into an opportunity for building trust
- Enthusiastic collaborative team leader/player with good attitude
- Extremely detail oriented
- Demonstrates sense of urgency
- Self motivated, entrepreneurial, outgoing
- Ability to prioritize projects, work quickly, establish deadlines internally and with external business customers, and meet those deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task
- Action-oriented: Must demonstrate a capacity to operate successfully in a fast paced, changing environment to make fact based decisions and implement recommendations quickly to drive for continuous improvement. Reacts to business trends in a timely and efficient manner, while ensuring continuity with strategic goals.
- Communication skills: Ability to communicate verbally and in writing effectively at all levels. Strong team building skills.
For reasonable accommodation information for an ADAAA qualified disability please see Belk Associate Handbook for policy and procedures.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
Belk, Inc. is the nation's largest privately owned mainline department store company with more than 300 fashion department stores in 16 contiguous Southern states and sales totaling $3.5 billion in its past fiscal year. The company seeks to be the department store of choice in each community it serves by providing superior service and merchandise that meets customers' needs for fashion, value and quality.
Belk's success over the years is a direct result of the dedication and service of its associates. Belk hires the best and brightest people who have the skills, ability and commitment to help the company achieve its mission to be the leading retailer in its markets in providing superior fashion, value, quality, service and convenience to its customers. Belk values its associates and is an equal opportunity employer.