Development Scientist - Gordon GA
BASF is the world’s leading chemical company: The Chemical Company. Its portfolio ranges from chemicals, plastics, performance products and crop protection products to oil and gas. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Through science and innovation, we enable our customers in nearly every industry to meet the current and future needs of society. Our products and solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring nutrition and improving quality of life. We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose: We create chemistry for a sustainable future. BASF Corporation, headquartered in Florham Park, New Jersey, is the North American affiliate of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, Germany. BASF has approximately 16,900 employees in North America, and had sales of $18.7 billion in 2012. For more information about BASF’s North American operations, visit www.basf.us. At BASF Corporation, we value the differences in our workforce as they are key to the success of our business and to the achievement of our status as "partner of choice." Consistent with our values, BASF has an inclusive environment that promotes respect and dignity for all in the work place. BASF is proud to be an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
The job exists to address the new product/process related innovation needs for the Paper Kaolin (EPK) SBU of the Paper Chemicals Division in North America (N-EPN) to support profitable growth of approx $400 MM business today. This position reports to the Manager, Product & Process Development for the SBU EPK and accomplishes the following:
• Develops products and processes, using the Phase Gate approach, consistent with the innovation strategy of the business.
• Assist Marketing in the development of the business case to justify product/process development activity.
• Lead the lab phase of the development activity.
• Provide technical advice to management and staff in area of specialization i.e. kaolin
• Support Manufacturing and Field Technical groups in troubleshooting of technical issues.
• Ensure intellectual property stemming from process and product development initiatives is appropriately documented.
• PhD in engineering or related science field, (Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Geology, Physics)
• 5+ years industrial R&D experience. Paper, packaging, paint, plastics or food industry experience preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively manage interactions with all levels in the business organization.
• Leadership skills: experience leading teams of direct or indirect reports.
• Strong communication and work management skills.
• Customer focus to ensure timely and quality response to both internal and external customers.
• Track record of successful new product development and implementation of new processes and cost reduction activities.
• Project management skills.
• Experience with lab safety standards and procedures.
• Demonstrated accomplishment in area of specialization e.g. journal publications and patents preferred.
BASF at a glance
BASF is the world’s leading chemical company – The Chemical Company.
With about 111,000 employees, six Verbund sites and close to 370 production sites worldwide we serve customers and partners in almost all countries of the world.
We combine economic success, social responsibility and environmental protection. Through science and innovation we enable our customers in almost all industries to meet the current and future needs of society.
Our products and system solutions contribute to conserving resources, ensuring healthy food and nutrition and helping to improve quality of life.
We have summed up this contribution in our corporate purpose:
We create chemistry for a sustainable future.