CapTech was formed as the result of a friendship between the company's founders—Sandy Williamson and Slaughter Fitz-Hugh—that began while both were employed at Andersen Consulting in Washington, D.C. Eventually, each would leave the company to pursue other opportunities, but they stayed in touch. In March of 1997, the two found themselves back in their shared hometown—Richmond, Virginia—and this close proximity led to the creation of CapTech Ventures, Inc., an exceptional business partnership.
The company has been successful from the very beginning, growing from $380,000 in revenue the first year to millions today. Always a privately held company, CapTech has thrived without the support of outside investors funding. Through partnership with clients and by providing exceptional service, CapTech has continued to grow and build on its successes. Now a full-service information technology consultancy and the largest private IT-focused comp any headquartered in the region, CapTech performs services for a diverse and growing client base.
Founded in 1997, CapTech Ventures is a private midsized consulting firm that designs and builds information systems. The driving force behind our success is the close relationships that we develop with our clients, getting to know their businesses and the vision that guides them. In 2004, we received the Impact Award of the Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce for its achievements in growth, economic impact and community support. Our newest honor was winning the Customer Engagement 2012 AMCF Consulting Project of the Year. Over the years, we have been recognized by Ernst and Young, Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), Greater Richmond Partnership, United Way, RichTech and numerous other organizations for our steady growth and positive impact on the communities it serves. We are expanding our client base both geographically and across industry lines and are recruiting, retaining and nourishing a highly skilled workforce.
At CapTech, we strive to balance intense, mission-critical consulting with fun and camaraderie. In addition to regular corporate functions and events, we support softball, baseball, biking and running teams. Managers also organize smaller outings for their functional teams such as Segway tours, a deep sea fishing trip and cooking classes. We also have a long history of supporting philanthropic and economic development activities. We greatly prefer to promote from within and provide many training and development opportunities to help our people grow their skills across the board. Our company founders and executive team are easily accessible within our open communication environment because we value employee ideas and input, and our collaborative team-centered work methods help us build off of each others’ success.
Additional benefits of CapTech include:
- Competitive salary with performance based bonus opportunities
- Single and Family Health Insurance plans, including Dental coverage
- Short-Term disability
- Long-Term disability
- Company provided life insurance plus option to purchase additional for self and family
- Long - Term care Insurance
- Matching 401(k)
- Flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care costs
- Option for company paid cell phone plan or personal cell phone plan reimbursement
- Paid Time Off with no required allocation for holidays, sick days, etc.
- Training opportunities through vast internal training programs including CapTech University
- Training and Certifications eligible for expense reimbursement (highly encouraged)
- Education reimbursement option
- Team building and social activities
- Mentor program to help you develop your career
- Collaborative work environment allowing you to learn from your peers
- The best deserves the best - CapTech consultants utilize cutting edge hardware and software to provide our clients with worry free solutions
If you are an experienced Data Modeler with strong leadership capabilities and you are looking for a rewarding new career direction, join our cutting-edge team at CapTech! In your role as a Data Modeler, you will be responsible for creation and maintenance of data models and database designs for operational systems, data warehouses, and datamarts throughout all phases of the project life cycle, from initial requirements definition all the way through to implementation and user acceptance. Communication skills are key: you will interact with project team members and business stakeholders at all levels of the project in order to ensure that the data models efficiently deliver to business objectives. You will also support the team as an advocate for data quality and sound data management practices.
As a Data Modeler, you will be responsible for collection of data requirements, conceptualization of high level data models, development of detailed logical models, translation of logical models to physical models appropriate to the target DBMS and efficient for the target application, and maintenance and enhancement of the models over the project life cycle. Throughout the modeling effort you will maintain metadata describing the models and their components. The role requires strong teamwork skills as you collaborate with team members and business participants to reach consensus solutions.
Your specific duties as a Data Modeler will include:
- Participating in the gathering of data requirements and extraction of data requirements from functional requirements and process definitions
- Working with a Data Architect to define high level data flows among system components and top level conceptual data models.
- Conferring with the client to obtain additional requirements detail relevant to data modeling
- Extending conceptual data models to attributed logical models that reflect the business requirements and the overall architectural pattern (operational, data warehouse, datamart, etc.)
- Defining and maintaining metadata supporting the data models
- Reviewing process requirements and application designs to understand data access patterns
- Creating the physical model in the target DBMS reflecting the logical model and optimized based on anticipated access patterns.
- Reviewing application designs and business process definitions to ensure good data quality practices in the application and its use.
- Maintaining the models throughout design, development, test, and deployment of the application
- On large projects, coordinating efforts of data modelers and data analysts in development and maintenance of models and metadata
- Reporting progress, status, and any issues to the project architect.
As a Data Modeler, you must have demonstrated experience, education and credentials as well as familiarity with Agile and Waterfall SDLC and ability to communicate in one-on-one and group settings with all business and technical project participants. You must have solid understanding of relational and dimensional data modeling, including concepts such as normalization and denormalization. You should be familiar with data quality best practices and be able to articulate them to technical and business project participants. It is vital that you can convey complex information in a clear and concise manner to team members as well as individuals at all levels of the client’s organization. You should have a work style that is more process-oriented than task-oriented. Exposure to alternative storage strategies like name/value pairs and schema-less databases, for example, is a plus.
Specific qualifications for the Data Modeler position will include:
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience
- Three Years Data Modeling experience in a full project life cycle development project
- Five years experience working with a leading relational database management system (DBMS) as a developer or database administrator, strong understanding of SQL DML and DDL
- Experience with both operational and dimensional modeling
- Excellent communications and presentation skills
- Experience working in both Agile and Waterfall development
- Familiarity with current and emerging data management trends
- Ability to work on client’s job site
- Eligibility for employment in the United States
- Involvement with TDWI, DAMA or data community user groups a plus
- Programming or database administration experience a plus
- Consulting experience a plus
- Full time travel required - up to 100%
Candidates must have the ability to work at CapTech’s client locations.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for any employer.
CapTech is an equal opportunity employer.
CapTech is a Drug-Free work place.
Need further assistance?
Applicant Tracking Software
bodyRendered = new Date().getTime();
lastOnload = new Date().getTime();