Real Estate Chief Economist
Move’s and realtor.com’s Chief Economist will be responsible for developing and translating real estate data and trends into consumer and industry insights in an engaging and easy to digest way for a variety of audiences.
The Economist should have a strong background in economics and analytics and other appropriate disciplines. However, these skills need to be balanced with the ability to communicate effectively to others, and rapidly gain the respect of both his/her peers as well as the media and the consumer and industry audiences. He/she should be able to speak with a POV to past trends as well as be willing to opine on what we might see in the future, based on data, analysis and intuition.
The Economist should have the experience and ability to collaborate with other economists, analysts and leaders in the housing industry in order to build on one another’s work and create shared indexes and data bases that can become valued industry benchmarks. He/she will be expected to become known as a ‘must talk to’ or ‘must check in with’ before a news article or broadcast is considered complete.
The ideal candidate should be very comfortable speaking with influential audiences, on television and radio and in front of large crowds with sufficient media presence for use in presentations, speeches and media relations. He/she should have a demonstrated ability to create and present material appropriate for diverse consumer audiences in various stages of the home ownership life cycle, the financial press, academics and agencies.
The Economist should be comfortable defending his/her point of view and accommodate and assimilate multiple points of view which may be conflicting. Ideally, the Economist should be able to attract and engage our existing audience as well as a younger audience as he/she shares key information in easy to digest formats and sound bites that are critical for the millennial generation. The person should be very engaging, ‘down to earth.’ and personable so that people want to hear what he/she has to say and not feel that they need to have a dictionary to translate the communication. At the same time the Chief Economist will need to have credibility and earn the respect of his/her academic peers and be able to work effectively with experts in economic data and Housing Policy.
He/she should have, or be able to rapidly acquire an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of the key companies and competitors in the real estate marketplace. The person should be able to answer the question ‘what does this mean to ME’ as part of every interaction he/she has with the media or other audiences.
Northern California/Silicon Valley preferred
- Conducts original economic housing research using data from internal and external sources and on trend with relevant market news about residential real estate and the local, national, and regional economies
- Provides market narratives and forecasts for use a variety of media and publications that provide insight into real estate market fundamental, performance and trends
- Utilizes infographics, charts and other graphical displays of complex topics to simplify messages so that the various audiences can quickly understand the key points.
- Represents realtor.com as a spokesperson in consumer, industry and investor facing media
- Collaborates with other analysts or Economists from other companies to become well-known as a “must have” for media writing about these topics.
- Keep the executive team updated on his/her POV on various issues and helps the team understand where we might have a different outlook than our competition.
- Gain SOV in the media and industry for realtor.com on topics related to industry trends, dynamics.
- Evaluate developing new indices and data products in collaboration with third parties and NAR that will engage broad audiences of all ages and focus on what the trends mean for the average consumer, as well as for our customers.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong quantitative orientation with excellent research and analytic skills that will support strong market analysis
- Ability to assimilate large amounts of information and data and create a compelling story supported by the facts.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong media presence and large group presentation skills
- Excellent influencing skills along with diplomacy and the ability to finesse conversations that may include multiple conflicting points of viewAbility to partner with individuals and groups from multiple functions and organizations, especially ability to collaborate with other real estate analysts
- Outstanding stage presence and ability to communicate appropriately and effectively a television or radio audience as well as a large in-person meeting
- Ability to convey difficult subjects to ideas and sound bites that the average layperson can understand.
- Ability to use infographics and other charts and diagrams to simplify complex topics.
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree from a top tier university in economics, mathematics, statistics and related disciplines with strong quantitative academic focus. Published, peer-reviewed papers in recognized journals considered valuable.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience with economic analysis focused on the real estate market or other equivalent segment
- Have attended and participated in real estate conferences such as AREUEA, ARES, AEA, NABE or spoken at recognized think-tanks
Move, Inc. offers a fast-paced, dynamic work environment including a competitive salary and benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), vacation and holidays. What should excite you about Move is not where we are located or which dental plan we offer, but the opportunity to be a key player in revolutionizing the real estate industry and working with people who are excited and motivated to make a difference in an industry that touches everyone’s lives.
Move is an equal opportunity employer.
Move, Inc., is the leader in online real estate and operator of the Move Network of real estate web site for consumers and real estate professionals. The Move Network of websites captures more than 20 million monthly visitors (from comScore) and includes: realtor.com®, Move.com®, Moving.com, TOP PRODUCER® Systems, ListHub, TIGERLEAD, SocialBios.com, Builders Digital Experience, Featuredwebsite.com, Homefair.com, Newhomesource.com, SeniorHousingNet.com,™ and HomeInsight.
Not ready to apply?