Under supervision of registered Pharmacists and according to established policies and procedures, assists in processing physicians’ medication and prescription orders so that medications are promptly, accurately and safely delivered to patients, charged for and credited. Checks and receives drug purchase orders, delivers medication to nursing units and conducts cassette exchange.
Consistently demonstrates support of the RIC statement of Mission and Philosophy by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
Demonstrates RIC Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and RIC Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, & Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
- Under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist, dispenses medication to fill prescription requests for inpatient Unit Dose Cassettes and RIC sites of care according to policy.
- Makes regularly scheduled rounds to deliver medication orders and supplies and to deliver and exchange patients’ medication cassettes.
- Responsible for pre-packing quantities of tablets, capsules and liquids under the supervision of a Registered Pharmacist and according to policy.
- Maintains I.V. stock and delivers I.V. preparations as directed according to policy.
- Refills and monitoring stock in the Emergency Drug and Supply carts, leaving charge slip and drugs needed out for the Registered Pharmacist to check.
- Monitors and orders medications and supplies from wholesalers and other pharmaceutical sources daily, unpacks and checks incoming merchandise for shortages, errors, damaged or back-ordered products against invoice of drug purchase orders, and merchandise received properly storage area.
- Writes up and returns outdated drugs to wholesaler or manufacturer for credit.
- Files and charges prescription orders for outpatient and employee prescriptions.
- Completes tasks assigned to maintain cleanliness of the Pharmacy and its equipment.
- Secures needed items from general storeroom, Central Supply or outside hospital and ensure the items are catalogued and restocked to assigned location.
- Reviews research protocol medication preparation guidelines, prepares clinical supplies, obtains a pharmacist’s approval and delivers research medications for clinical research teams.
- Reports directly to Director, Pharmacy.
- High school Diploma or equivalent required.
- Current license as a Pharmacy Technician issued by the State of Illinois.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification required.
- Requires approximately one to two years hospital based experience necessary to learn preparation of medications, packaging methods, compounding, department billing, Standard Operating Procedures and protocol.
- Strong mathematical ability to interpret prescription orders, dispense medication including compounding of tablets to liquid.
- Experience adding measured drugs or nutrients to intravenous solutions under sterile conditions to prepare intravenous (IV) preparation under pharmacist supervision.
- Strong customer service and communication skills needed to interact with patients, coworkers, healthcare professionals, and vendors.
- Time management and multi-tasking ability required to work in a fast paced, time sensitive environment to ensure timely delivery of daily cart and orders as needed.
- Demonstrated follow through, decision making, and analytical skills required to address discrepancies, missing medications and ordering new medications.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Cerner and Talyst auto carousel, preferred.
- Ability to push delivery carts weighing up to 40 lbs, lift and stock items for delivery and inventory control.
- Normal patient care environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
- Position requires standing for extended periods of time during work day.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
To apply for this position, please click 'APPLY NOW'
and you will be sent to our online application.
We ask you to please take a few minutes to fill out the application.
We look forward to speaking with you soon.
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) has been recognized as the '#1 Rehabilitation Hospital in America' since 1991 by U.S. News & World Report. No other specialty hospital has been consecutively ranked the '#1' by U.S. News & World Report for so long.
Founded in 1954, RIC has earned a worldwide reputation as being a leader in patient care, research and educating health professionals in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
People from around the globe choose RIC because of our expertise in treating a range of conditions, from the most complex conditions including cerebral palsy, spinal cord injury, stroke and traumatic brain injury, to the more common, such as arthritis, chronic pain and sports injuries. Many people also come to RIC because of our specialized services, which help individuals lead more independent and fulfilling lives.
RIC offers a full range of services at all levels of care -- inpatient, day rehabilitation and outpatient -- according to the special needs of each patient. At all levels of treatment, specialists from many disciplines work as a team with each patient to advance his or her ability to do and participate in things that give their lives meaning.