Description The Shipping Supervisor is responsible for the effective leadership and overall management of a team of Shipping, Packaging, Export, Transportation, and Mailroom Associates. Responsible for setting daily/weekly/monthly priorities for the department using data based decisions to drive actions and resource allocation. Oversees daily operational activities, establishment of priorities, and developing system and processes for achieving goals related to safety, costs, quality, productivity, workforce development, and plant initiatives. Uses continuous improvement tools (i.e. Lean Mfg, Focused Improvement, Kaizen, 5S etc.) to deliver measurable improvements and build a professional and effective culture and logistics process expertise within the department. Fosters the workforce by developing associate ownership by involving all associates in the daily review process, performance measurement tracking, auditing, and accountability. Receives general direction on objectives.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages department to achieve maximum efficiency and utilization of resources, equipment and personnel.
- Ensures timely and effective execution of all Logistics daily operational objectives. This includes Inventory Management, Packaging, Export, and Shipping functions.
- Prepares and initiates daily, weekly, and monthly reports to include individual and departmental productivity and quality, safety submissions, kaizen submissions, attendance at work and SSU, capacity planning, key logistics projects, cycle counting, and required corporate metrics.
- Leads departmental projects and initiatives to include shipping accuracy, inventory optimization, inventory accuracy, on-time shipment, and process optimization directives and process improvements.
- Participates in the development and initiation of business strategies for Logistics departments to meet the goals and objectives of the business including staffing, inventory optimization, infrastructure improvement, process flow improvements, and space requirements.
- Participates in the development and analysis of manufacturing processes and procedures to optimize departmental efficiencies and maintain high product quality.
- Lead the hiring, training, enrichment and career development of all department Associates.
- Initiates the timely performance appraisal of all direct and indirect personnel with the assistance of department Supervisors.
- Leads and fosters the departmental continuous improvement programs (i.e. Lean, Six Sigma, etc.) by providing the tools, resources and support needed.
- Develops performance objectives and training programs for department.Demonstrate leadership through structured departmental SSU meetings, quarterly one on one’s with all associates, and review of departmental metrics with management.
- Ensures a high level of customer service to all internal and external customers including responsiveness and clearly managing expectations.
- Ensures compliance to all business and departmental policies.
- Keeps abreast of US and non-US regulations affecting own area of supervision/management and complies with those regulations. Initiates changes to BDB-Cell Analysis practices and procedures to support compliance requirements. Communicates the need for compliance to members of own functional area. Brings regulatory compliance questions/issues to the attention of the next level of management.
- Ensures Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) training through facilitating the development and implementation of safety awareness programs. Implements scheduled developmental safety inspections and ensures corrective action for identified hazards. Ensures EH&S policies and procedures are followed through education and training. Discusses and documents pertinent EH&S topics at staff meetings. Participates in ED&S programs.
- Carries out Human Resource management responsibilities such as hires, job assignments, termination recommendations, transfers, promotions, salary actions, and processes performance reviews on time.
Qualifications KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience in shipping and/or logistics project management or supervision with an emphasis on capacity and resource planning, meeting and/or exceeding daily deliverables such as on time shipment, error free shipments, and export compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise outstanding independent judgment by utilizing strong analytical and tactical skills supported by facts and data.
- Demonstrated hands on experience with SAP and SAP reporting functionality.
- Thorough knowledge of logistics execution strategies.
- Ability to work with peers as well as effectively manage up and down the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, challenge and develop individual contributor level.
- Ability to work under pressure without sacrificing quality.
- Ability to multitask numerous projects and responsibilities.
- Exceptionally detail oriented and focused.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires a Bachelor of Science or Arts degree (Business or Supply Chain discipline preferred) and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a logistics and/or manufacturing environment.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience with continuous improvement tools (i.e. Lean / Six Sigma) preferred.
- Experience with FDA, GMP, and other regulated operations is preferred.
- Transportation/logistics and/or materials management experience required.
- Proficiency in SAP, Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Project.
Not ready to apply?
|For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online:|
Never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn More >>
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder.com you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder.com Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.