BROAD FUNCTION AND SCOPE OF THE POSITION:
This position, Group Manager, Innovation & Product Development, provides high level management to lead both wet and dry product development activities. The incumbent must provide the product and packaging technical leadership necessary to manage key company growth and innovation development projects through commercialization, utilizing both internal and external resources. This position supports and participates in market research / marketing programs and possess the insights necessary to bring technology in product/package industry to deliver consumer relevant innovations. Additionally, the incumbent must continuously strive to apply industry knowledge to help deliver efficiencies in conversion, packaging cost, and improved product and package quality.
This position is responsible for the planning and conducting of product and packaging development projects in support of key business directives as assigned. Performance is measured on ability to efficiently and technically conduct projects, and on the ability to work with peers and other functional groups as a team. This position works primarily with outside consultants and vendors to develop and design new products and packages. Additionally this position has significant interface with Operations, Purchasing, Marketing, and Quality Assurance. The incumbent may be personally involved in the performing of research and oversee the performance of experiments in the kitchen, laboratory, and packaging lab. The incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for Del Monte employees that support the development activities of outside resources. A robust understanding of potential development consultants, co-packers, universities and other outside resources is required. Intellectual property rights are also to be assessed and ownership determined. This position also requires the incumbent to have the expertise to independently handle highly complex technical process or product problems beyond the scope of the Projects Manager on a highly focused basis.
Key responsibilities include:
• Develop and champion new product/packaging concepts
• Identify and bring cost savings initiatives based upon industry knowledge
• Establish / manage intellectual property ownership, as defined in contractual agreement
• Identify internal and external sources of open innovation best suited to support assigned R&D platform
• Develop and implement project proposal and contract with 3rd party entity working with procuremetnt and Legal to optimize value to DM
• Develop and manage commercialization strategy for projects externally resourced
• Source / manage all activity of external consultants and companies to deliver objectives
• Utilize knowledge of product/packaging industry to drive new innovative consumer driven offerings
• Write product/packaging specifications for approval by manager
• Keep abreast of new food/packaging industry technologies and recommend for consideration where appropriate
• Provide written monthly project updates
The problems most often encountered in this position are the coordination of a variety of internal and external resources to complete development projects, so communication skills are critical. Technical problems related to the development or modification of products/package and troubleshooting problems related to Del Monte and co-packer processes may also be encountered. The greatest challenge is to achieve the desired research or product / package development results within the product image and time guidelines established by Management.
The incumbent cannot establish policies, issue formulas or formula changes or communicate the results of research to persons outside Del Monte R&D without approval of the R&D Platform Leader (Fruit / Vegetable / Pet /Packaging)
The incumbent reviews the results of projects and recommendations of the outside resources to assure proper interpretation. The incumbent recommends future direction on each project to the R&D platform leader and communicates the acceptability of products, formulas, processes or packaging for commercial productions to the proper personnel.
• Advanced applicable degree (i.e. Food Science, Baking Science) or a BA/BS with equivalent experience in a food related field.
• 10 years or more experience in food product/process development.
• Incumbent must be capable of independently managing highly technical projects and
business leadership. This requires expertise beyond the scope of Product Development & Packaging Projects Manager position, including contracting, IP management, budget management, project review leadership and commercialization.
• Incumbent will be required to travel up to 50% of time (domestic and international).
No sponsorship is available for this position.
• Competitive salary
• Comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k) and Pension Plan
Del Monte Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ALL RESUMES NEED TO BE SUBMITTED THROUGH WWW.DELMONTE.COM
TO BE CONSIDERED. (https://www.delmontefoods.com/careers/)
No agencies or 3rd party vendors. Additional Information:
Del Monte Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, disability or any other legally protected status. Please be advised that your application is not complete until you fill out, sign, and submit a Del Monte Application for Employment for a specific position for which Del Monte is actively recruiting. Your application must reflect that you possess the required qualifications for the position. Shift: Relocation Eligible: