Master’s degree in Public Policy or related field preferred. A minimum of three years of leadership experience in a large organization. Demonstrated knowledge of the organization, function and dynamics of state government, public policy, and experience with diverse stakeholder groups. Experience organizing teams to analyze and develop public policy proposals, preparing testimony and public presentations, and developing public relations campaigns.
Requires excellent working knowledge of public policy development, stakeholder outreach strategies, and the legislative process. Must have experience in communications and outreach strategies specific to the advancement of public policy, including the writing of talking points, position papers, articles and press releases for target stakeholder audiences. Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook email preferred.
Operate a PC, printer, copy machine, fax machine and multi-line telephone system and other
standard office and communications equipment.
Recruit, interview and select students for placement in the Institute student fellowship program. Direct weekly meetings and work assignments of student fellowship teams, and review work of students and staff associated with the Institute.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Demonstrated experience in coordinating events and meetings
• Ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures.
• Ability to represent the Institute with the highest level of professionalism
• Ability to read a target audience and draft talking points with specific, relevant message for Director’s presentations to on-campus groups
• Experienced public speaker with demonstrated comfort in front of large groups
• Thorough understanding and proficiency in the use of standard desktop software tools, including word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and desktop publishing software
• Proficiency in the use of scheduling, email and database systems
• Ability to take initiative, plan, organize and prioritize work
• Ability to work independently, exercise discretion and independent judgment and anticipate problems and address them proactively
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with a diverse clientele of people, both in public and private organizations
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
• Ability to work well under tight deadlines
• Ability to coordinate and make progress on many different tasks simultaneously
• Ability to respect different viewpoints and to work closely with people to accomplish shared goals.
For a complete position description and to apply online please visit our website at www.calpolycorporationjobs.org. Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays.
Cal Poly Corporation is a non-profit organization which supports the California Polytechnic State University's educational mission and provides quality services, which complement the instructional program. It has more than 200 full-time employees and approximately 1,400 part-time student and intermittent employees. Cal Poly Corporation employees are involved in many areas on campus including administering a wide range of research grants, running commercial operations such food services and bookstore, administering funding for student enterprise aid-to-instruction programs, providing facilities and equipment, and serving as trustee for gifts to the University.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo. The university has a student enrollment exceeding 18,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
University families live in San Luis Obispo and nearby communities both on the coast and inland. San Luis Obispo, a city of ~45,500, is located twelve miles from the Pacific Ocean and midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on California’s scenic central coast. Excellent recreational facilities are available, and the area has an outstanding climate, with an average daily maximum temperature of 62.2 in January, 77.0 in August, and an annual average of 70.2.