A franchisee of a National Restaurant Chain is seeking a hands on Controller for its Charlotte, NC office. In addition to the accounting function, this person will be in charge of day to day functioning of the Charlotte office. The Company is offering full benefits which include in addition to salary, health, dental and life insurance, 401k plan, annual vacation and paid holidays.
Reporting directly to the CFO, the Controller is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting including developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure senior management receives accurate and timely financial statements. The Controller supervises staff and is responsible for managing the team to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
This position will support the CFO in managing external service providers as well as work directly with the Company’s outside accountants in preparation of annual financial statements in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. He/she will collaborate across all functions throughout the Company in support of the Operations. The Controller is expected to have strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
The Controller will be expected to:
- Manage the accounting for the Company's financial statements to include the preparation of the monthly journal entries, monitoring trigger events for impairments, preparing and/or reviewing account reconciliations, and preparing any periodic forecasts and the annual operating plan.
- Prepare/review various account reconciliations to support the balance sheet.
- Oversee audit of daily store financial operations and inventory controls
- Oversee PCI Compliance and reporting for Credit Card Transactions.
- Manage Daily Treasury reporting process verifying and reconciling daily cash deposits and credit card transactions.
- Develop tax compliance monitoring system. Create schedules to support 2012 tax return preparation. Prepare monthly/quarterly Sales and Payroll tax returns.
- Prepare monthly sales tax returns and quarterly payroll tax returns in multiple states.
- Prepare annual property tax returns for over 50 locations in four states.
- Advise staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Be the point of contact with departments for supporting documentation, issue resolution, and process improvements.
- Mentor staff including providing feedback on projects, establishing annual goals and objectives, writing performance reviews, and taking disciplinary action when needed.
Required Skills and Experience:
- BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting, CPA desired
- Seven to Ten year’s prior supervisory experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area. Prior experience with Great Plains Dynamics preferred
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast pace setting. Must be proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word and Access and Microsoft Server.
- Must be extremely detail oriented and motivated by a challenging, high energy environment
- Must possess a strong work ethic and the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and supervisory skills required.