*This position is located in Batesville, MS. Relocation assistance is available.
Batesville Casket Company is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of death care products, with annual revenues of approximately $650 million. Batesville's products include metal and hardwood burial caskets, cremation products, technology solutions, and innovative casket containers. Batesville operates as a subsidiary of Hillenbrand, Inc. and is publicly trade on the NYSE (NYSE: HI). The combination of an iconic brand, a truly consultative sales approach, innovative products and services, outstanding customer support and service, and best in class logistics footprint enables Batesville to drive value and profitability.
Batesville is a nationally recognized, award winning manufacturing organization. We attribute this success to the people we employ and the values which are engrained as part of our culture. These values are demonstrated in the fact that:
- We are a high performance, lean organization known for its leadership excellence.
- We are focused on employing the principles of continuous improvement in all facets of our business.
- We have a long history of developing talent and valuing our people's diversity.
- We are demanding yet compassionate, treating our associates with dignity and respect.
- We communicate openly and honestly with our associates, believing they have a right to know how their business is performing and conducting itself.
- We have a highly engaged workforce that helps make Batesville Casket Company a great place to work.
- We are the market leader with a focus on serving our customers effectively and profitably, enabling us to continually grow shareholder value.
- We recognize that who we are, what we do, and how we do it matters to our people, our customers, and our shareholders.
Responsible for providing direct supervision to production employees in department(s) including work scheduling and assignment, employee training, ensuring production quality and quantity requirements are met, evaluating staffing needs, administering safety, communication, teambuilding, etc. programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Gain valuable experience associated with plant management at the floor level.
- Function as a true partner by providing vision and oversight for your team(s).
- Develop a diverse team.
- Upon successful demonstration of delivering excellence by way of results and growth, compete for various roles within the operations space.
- Clearly and regularly communicates pertinent performance, work schedule, and activities to the work teams.
- Facilitates 5S by assuring 5S maps and assignment sheets are current and by verifying conformance to the standard conditions.
- Reports all accidents, injuries, and near misses to production manager, assures all documentation is completed and tracks countermeasures.
- Assures proper PPE is used per plant requirements.
- Proactively audits department for at risk conditions or behaviors.
- Assures associates' compliance to Standard Work and Job Instructions.
- Assures products passed on to next department meet quality specifications.
- Analyzes work orders to estimate worker hours and create machining schedules that meet both internal and external needs.
- Computes amounts of stock and supplies required for operation, based on production schedules, and requisitions materials from storage area.
- Interfaces with others in the organization to ensure customer deadlines are met.
- Directs workers in adjusting machines and equipment to repair products, which fail to meet standards.
- Develops, recommends, and implements measures to improve safety, production methods, equipment performance, quality of product, and standards of work.
- Maintains time and production records.
- Conveys company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance, and quality of product.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of shop, department, or work crew.
- Initiates and/or suggests plans to motivate workers to achieve work goals.
- Directly supervises 2-50 hourly employees in the manufacturing operation.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance to the Company policies, the Code of Ethical Business Conduct and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.