Architecture - Building
Engineering - Precision
Engineering - Services
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and the world's 11th largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
Atkins seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented, and professional individual to join our Greensboro, NC staff as a Traffic Operations Center Operator I. The candidate will be involved in managing traffic congestion, planned events and unplanned incidents in a Traffic Operations Center (TOC) and providing data entry and QA/QC for information in the State DOT Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) or Advanced Traveler Information System (ATIS). Typically works under supervision but must be capable of directing his/her own work, implementing response plans as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and coordinating with personnel outside the facility.
The Traffic Operations Center in Greensboro typically operates from 5:30am to 9:30pm, Monday – Friday and from 9:45am to 6:15pm on Saturdays and Sundays. TOC Operators are scheduled for duty on one of the two shifts per day during the week and one shift over the weekend. On-call responsibilities are rotated across all TOC Operators in order to provide after-hours response measures when needed.
The shift times are as follows:
1st shift- 5:30 AM – 2:00 PM
2nd shift- 1:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Weekend shift- 9:45 AM – 6:15 PM
Typical duties and responsibilities of this position are:
• Monitors congestion and incident information using various tools including ATMS and ATIS, EM radio traffic, CAD feeds and traffic reports from local media partners for incidents.
• Enters traffic incident details into ATMS and keeps them up-to-date, notifies appropriate operations personnel, and provides additional response measures as required.
• Actively reviews or implements traffic management through the use of tools such as ATMS, ATIS, DMS/CMS, HARS and develops alternate route plans when an incident or heavy congestion is detected and verified.
• Implements travel time postings on DMS/CMS during peak traffic hours as needed. • Activates Amber/Silver Alerts or other messages on local DMS/CMS devices as outlined in SOP’s.
• Receives and responds to emails or re-directs to appropriate staff as necessary.
• Researches, identifies and reviews planned construction, maintenance, and special events and implements response plans as needed or instructed
• Assists with data collection and documentation to support the production of a variety of reports such as those related to employee performance, traffic incident response, device maintenance, and any other reports that are requested
• May perform such other assignments as the Supervisor may deem necessary from time to time.
The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
High school diploma (or equivalent); one year related experience in dispatch center or 911 operations is preferred; experience in a position related to transportation or logistics is preferred.
Must be familiar with computers and be proficient in their use.
Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
Must have good command of the English language.
Must possess strong, organizational awareness skills and be able to coordinate appropriately with a wide range of internal and external partners.
Ability to perform in a professional, courteous manner and remain friendly while under pressure.
Ability to follow instructions and/or utilize prior experience to determine new processes is required.
Must have an aptitude for geography and maps.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace.